Monday, December 10, 2012

Whistle Stop San Francisco

We took The Little Boy to San Francisco for the first time a few weeks ago. Fearful of stopping every 10 miles for a feed or a cuddle, we set out at 10 am assuming the 6 hour drive would get us there around midnight, but it went really, really well. My two little travelers were rock stars and sat patiently in the back seat and we made it up in time for dinner.
 
 
But on the way we stopped at IHOP. The Little Boy was glad to be out of the car seat but unsure of what to make of the place.
 

 
 
We crossed over the Bay Bridge, a 10 minute drive that had always meant so much to me as I dreamed of moving from the So Cal suburbs to  SF, and then continued to make me whistful when I lived across the bay in Berkeley. It's just a bridge, butthat final approach to the city is loaded with symbolism to me.
 
So I tried not to be too disappointed when I exclaimed excitedly to The Boy, 'look! It's San Francisco!!!'
 
'Where?' Was his response.
 
'Up there where all the lights are. Do you see it?'
 
'I see the lights but I don't see San Francisco.'
 
Hmph.
 


 
After checking into the hotel we wandered down California Street to the Ferry Building for dinner. 


 
Back to the Ferry Building in the morning to look at the boats and the bay then it was off to shop for me with The Little Boy and some friends and off to the Cable Cars for Hubs and The Boy. Sadly there are no pictures of The Boy on the Cable Cars because Hubs is loathe to take a picture without being asked.


Then Hubs ordered some room service with the boys while I went to the Tadich Grill for dinner. It's one of the oldest, if not the oldest, restaurants in California and is famous for it's seafood. So, despite not being a fan of seafood I got a crab cake as a starter then whatever this is for my main. Both were fabulous.
 

 
Then the best part of the trip, my mom looked after the boys while Hubs and some friends and I drank at Vesuvio like we did in 1999. Then... my friends left.
 
PDA and my sweet Hubs took this pic.


No comments:

Post a Comment