Sunday, May 25, 2014

Kids These Days

Or should I say, people. 

I got a reminder yesterday of the dumbing down of all of us. I loaded up my Amazon cart with some pretty serious books - Gogol, Plath, Chaucer, Michael Chabon(I'm a nerd and it's free shipping once you hit 35 bucks) - and before I was allowed to checkout my screen filled with an offer for a college student credit card.

This tells me two things; 1)that college students must be the last remaining readers of such classics and 2) that cookies, or whatever it is that keeps an eye on your spending habits, may be good at guessing what a target audience is for what, but it's really bad at math. 

I mean, I made my first Amazon order 13 years ago. I was teaching myself to cook and ordered a Le Creuset pot - grown up. I also had it delivered to my work, the first real job I had after college - also grown up. 

And that brings is back to college. Why are college kids the only people reading books that should be read by, well, everyone.

Bums me out, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment