Monday, February 14, 2011

And Speaking of Books

As you can see from my book list to the right I am reading Pride and Prejudice. I am reading Pride and Prejudice and I think it sucks. Seriously, I have no idea what all the hubbub is about.

I chose to read this book with a friend, a clever girl with an advanced degree who shares my shame regarding the blank spots in our reading repertoire, with whom I founded a two-person book club. Over tapas and wine a few weeks ago I was telling her all about the last overrated book I read, Madame Bovary. She asked why I read it if I thought it was so awful and I told her that I was reading it because it seemed like a book that well-read people read.

Whatever. Madame Bovary sucked but at least the title character had the decency to off herself with arsenic at the end. I don't think I'll be so lucky with Lizzy "I'm strong and independent even though Mr. Wickham tells me what to think" Bennett.

So I don't know whether generations of literature lovers have been woefully mis-led by pretty words or if I'm just too thick to understand the importance Flaubert or Jane Austen. Either way, I think next months book-club book will require a bit more consideration than we gave this month's.

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen the movies? I liked the book, but I think I mostly liked it because I already had all the actors and characters from the BBC movie in my head as I was reading it.

    If you're looking for a book rec, The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox is a GREAT book for book clubs ... it's very discussable:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of the films all the way through. I saw part of the one with Keira Knightly a week or so ago and wasn't super impressed.

    I feel like a bit of an oddball, really. I mean what kind of girl doesn't like Jane Austen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like her either. BUT BUT BUT what you DO, is you read it for the eye roll exercises. You MST3K the heck out of it. Read those "classics," fill the gaps it shames you to have, but you don't have to enjoy them for the same reasons everyone else seems to!

    You could cast Muppets in the lead roles as well. Miss Piggy Bennett!

    That's how I get through that stuff, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of Miss Piggy Bennett! I can totally see her "hmph"ing and sticking her snout in the air. I shall have to mention this to my book club co-member/founder.

    ReplyDelete