Friday, March 4, 2011

Does my lovey need a lovey?

It seems every baby/toddler has a crutch of some sort: pacifiers, blankets, bears, squeaky giraffes, lovies of all sorts. It seems all new humans require something to offer them comfort.

In The Boy's nineteen months with us he's been luke-warm with Sophie and prone to giving hugs to his myriad stuffed animals, but I wouldn't say that any of his animal facsimiles have garnered too much attention. He was completely unimpressed with all of the different kinds of pacifiers I got him and didn't take any notice of the ten square of organic flannel and silk I got him that I believe actually had "Lovey" on it's fancy little tag.

Not that I regret having to wean him from a pacifier or his thumb(or both), but I do wonder why he doesn't favor any of his stuffed buddies when it comes time to give hugs.

Is it confidence? He knows he's loved by us so he doesn't need to seek comfort in lovey? Hopefully.

Is he spoiled? He gets so many hugs and cuddles from Hubs and I, and his grandparents, uncle and family friends that he really doesn't see the need for a proxy hugger. Nah. Who ever heard of too many hugs?

Is it that I have yet to find the right lovey? Maybe.

So the search continues for an appropriate lovey. In the meantime we will all carry on with the hugs and cuddles and see if that is indeed the cause of The Boy's lack of a lovey.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry! As far as we can tell, Margaux has one "lovey," and that's me. She'll nom Sophie, and cuddle her various dolls and plushies, but none of them for long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I am totally Mikey's lovey. It's awesome, but it would be nice when he's feeling clingy to be able to say "hey, here's Buddy Bear. Cuddle him while Mama cleans the bathroom."

    ReplyDelete