Friday, October 8, 2010

Foodie Friday

Except for a mis-step at a BBQ last weekend(I had half a hot dog), I have steadfastly adhered to the no red meat portion of my diet.

The no dairy portion, not so much. I've been good about cutting out most milk, but the cheese and yogurt are proving harder to give up.

And then there's my newest culinary adventure; I made rice pudding for the first time this week. It was done as a pumpkin delivery system, really, and it didn't turn out half bad.

It was adapted from a Giada De Laurentiis recipe, and here it is:

Pumpkin Rice Pudding

2/3 cup of Arborio rice
4 cups of milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 a cup of unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice

Bring rice, milk and vanilla to a gentle boil then turn heat down to low.
Cook for 45 minutes.
Add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
Serve to hungry toddler who had previously turned his nose up at sweets, but console yourself by reminding yourself that pumpkin is a superfood.

No comments:

Post a Comment