Tuesday, October 26, 2010

On Judginess

Yesterday was my birthday and it was fabulous! Hubs and The Boy got me some awesome pressies, I had lunch with a friend and went on a mini-shopping spree and it was even vaguely Autumnal in So Cal.

All good things.

Then the family and I went out for some Mexican food for my birthday dinner. Now, The Boy has been cutting his canines and his usually cheerful demeanour has been soured a bit, especially in the evening.

He made it through dinner well, but started getting antsy after Hubs had ordered me a birthday fried ice cream. So Hubs searched the diaper bag for The Boy's shoes so he could go for a walk(we don't leave his shoes on since he either eats them or removes them, or both). He couldn't find them so I stepped up inhaling my ice cream, but The Boy was relentless, so Hubs took The Boy out for a walk - barefoot. We were inside and Hubs was holding The Boy's hand, and keeping a keen eye on the floor lest The Boy encounter anything sharp or unsavoury that he shouldn't step on.

So, I finished my dessert and asked for the bill within a few minutes and was going to pay when this old woman - the grandmother of a family sitting nearby -said venomously, "I can't believe those people are letting that baby walk around barefoot."

Really? Really lady? I recognise it wasn't ideal, but he was supervised in a clean, carpeted place. Would you rather he had ruined the last of your dinner by screaming? Would it be better if Hubs had taken him to the cold, dark parking lot to scream while I got the bill and paid? Are you really so confident in your own parenting skills that you'd feel comfortable telling your own daughter she was wrong for giving me an embarrassed glance after your snarky scolding of me - a stranger, who's birthday dinner you just ruined?

Screw you lady, for putting a crappy ending to a perfect birthday!

Signed, Someone who is far too concerned about the opinions of others

No comments:

Post a Comment