Monday, October 4, 2010

Is it too early...

To think about The Boy's schooling?

I am happy to admit that I'm a big proponent of educational activities. I got The Boy a DVD of some strange, French teaching panda when he was about 5 months old. I've been playing him French nursery rhymes and showing him flashcards in French and English for about 6 months. I'm a big fan of alphabet blocks and toys with letter buttons.

I'm a little less happy to admit that I will, most likely, be a bit of a helicopter parent. I'll try to be cool about The Boy going out into the great big world, being a regular kid and learning from his own mistakes, but I can already tell I'm going to be more involved than he might like. I never had to deal with my parents pushing me into sports(I tried almost everything, but proved to be a spectacularly bad athlete) or attempting to assert themselves too forcefully into my academic career(the PTA was anathema to them and the 80's wasn't exactly the heyday of parental involvement).

The Boy won't be so lucky. I've been spending an embarrassing amount of time looking at websites that rate schools; some that rate just high schools and some that rate entire school districts. Some that list property values in the school district. Some that rate private schools.

It's overwhelming. Part of me wishes my nomadic, anti-hipster family was already well-established somewhere so where The Boy was to be schooled was already a faite accompli, but we're still as rudderless as we were in 1999. That means where we go is wide open, yet entirely based on some weird school calculus that is way above my head.

Bah!

(And my younger self is mortified right now)

No comments:

Post a Comment