Monday, January 31, 2011

New Things To Do

I got The Boy a play kitchen a few weeks ago. It's made of wood and is small enough to fit between the baby-gate to our kitchen and our china hutch. It looks like this.

My initial thoughts on purchasing it were that it would give The Boy something to do with the sliceable wooden fruit my sister-in-law got him and the wooden pots and pans my parents-in-law got him for Christmas, and that he could "cook" with me instead of hanging off of the gate whenever I'm doing anything in the kitchen. I also harbored grand thoughts of doing my part for feminism by raising a boy who was man enough to play in the kitchen.

Nearly one month in and he really does love it - the buzzer on the timer freaks him out, but he generally finds it pretty fun. He puts the pots in the fridge and would rather dump the fruit behind his kitchen than chop it up or wash it, but it's all good. Oh, and he assuaged any latent fears I might have had(I didn't) about the possible feminizing effects of him pretending to cook and clean by yanking the firmly attached refrigerator door off by its screwed in hinges. Yeah, he's a bruiser.

And while I'm on the topic of hobbies and learning new things, I have decided that I really need a decent camera. I mean, my camera is a decent camera, but not for inside shots and moving toddlers. An example of this can be found when we went to LA MOCA the other weekend and the only shot I could get of my boys perusing the art was this:

Boooooo! Stupid no-flash-allowing museums!

Oh well, at least I was able to document The Boy's first trip to LA institution Philippe's.

Mmmm... Beef Dip.

Anyhoo, the goal for February is for The Boy to put his fruit in his pots and his pots on the burners. For me it's to investigate cameras that will better serve our needs - our running around, often inside and possessing no photographic skills needs.

2 comments:

  1. Nice kitchen! Who makes it, I might want to get one for Action Baby. (Margaux)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank's Amy! It's awesome! It's made by Melissa and Doug and is $99.99 at diapers.com. M&D also made the pots and pans and fruit he has.

    Good stuff. I think Action Baby would approve.

    ReplyDelete