Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oh The Places You'll Go

My mom got me the Dr Seuss classic my senior year in high school and soon rued its wanderlust message. I spent most of the first four years after high school backpacking around Europe, working in bars in Prague, stumping for hostels in Brussels and sleeping in parks on the streets of Pamplona. I have always felt that that was the very best way to be young.

I have a twenty year old cousin who is currently working in a Croatian hostel before beginning his junior year abroad program in Bulgaria. Now, beside being incredibly proud and totally green with envy, I cannot help but look into the future and imagine The Boy's adventures in eighteen or twenty years.

To be honest the very idea scares the crap out of me. My dad described a feeling of overwhelming relief whenever he saw me exist the customs hall at LAX, waddling under the weight of my rucksack. Whatever sense of impending panic I have about sending The Boy off to school or summer camp, I'm even more nervous, and excited, at the prospect of him following in my Doc Martens and spending some time traveling.

In the meantime, however, we can see the world together,

Here's a picture I took of us crossing the Millennium Bridge in London

And here's The Boy on the same bridge, with a terrible picture of The Thames in the background.

2 comments:

  1. I love it that you got to make that trip together!

    I can't think ahead by 18 years - too scary, too heartbreaking. That alone is a good reminder to hold her now while I still can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS heartbreaking. The idea of them going off into the world is the very definition of bittersweet IMO.

    ReplyDelete