Monday, August 29, 2011

First Hair Cut: A Story in Badly Taken Pictures

It really was time. The Boy is a month passed 2 and has been envious of Hubs' summertime buzz-cut for the past couple of months. And his hair, his sweet smelling, thin, curly cue mop was definitely on the way to us looking like we were making a statement.

I wasn't ready. I really wasn't ready, but the heat, the humidity and the cow licks were obviously testing The Boy's patience. So we headed out in 106 degree heat to a local kid's barber - don't know what I was thinking about going to Beverly Hills - and got The Boy his first trim.

It was lovely, with cheerful staff greeting The Boy in that sing-song geared specifically for toddlers. We met the nice girl who was assigned the task of cutting his hair - and I was pretty nervous going in that she would end up deaf or hating us if The Boy treated his time at the salon like his time at the pediatrician's.

But he did pretty well. Here's he is looking seriously concerned about what was about to happen.

The pop-up animals did little to calm his nerves so Hubs thought it best to let him sit on his lap. Then the taking of my sweet boys sweet locks commenced.


Look at how much they cut :(

They gave us a little certificate and a bag containing the hair from the first snip, so I guess we marked the occasion as best we could. I'm still kind of sad though. I mean, we would have had to cut it eventually anyway, I just would have preferred it to have happened later rather than sooner. Or later rather than last Saturday.

Here he is, back at home all neatly groomed like a big boy.

So now my sweetness is sleeping next to me, his once downy then straggly hair now nicely trimmed and cool. I guess it does look nice, but I still miss his cow-licks and am not even remotely looking forward to the next big milestone.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, mama! Good for you! Losing that baby hair is a big move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure i'd have the same reaction. but it really does look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I'm still in shock.

    ReplyDelete