Thursday, September 29, 2011

This is Depressing

::Controversial opinion contained within - Writing whilst emotional::

Just yesterday I read Christina's lovely words about her fears for her Lovie's future. I commented and commiserated, but it wasn't until today that I read an article that really sums up my second to worst fear for the future - that holier than thou able bodied types will think my life not worth living. This article in my beloved Guardian Comment is Free has left me utterly dejected.

I am pro-choice and pro-everything else that gives someone control over their body, up to and including suicide, but the idea that people with no experience of disabilities would assume that the life of someone rendered motionless and mute by an accident or illness is, by default, not worth living scares the bejeezus out of me. That may be the case for some and I would not begrudge them the right to take their own life but, to me, my life is worth something. Even if, God forbid, I was made completely disabled by this shitty-ass disease that's constantly eating my myelin I cannot imagine not wanting to see my boy grow up, to watch him start school, to fall in love for the first time and everything else his childhood has in store for him. I also want to see what kind of person he'll become.

Maybe it's selfish of me to not expect my family to kill my crippled ass off when I become more of a burden than an asset, but there it is. I will make no apologies for loving Hubs and The Boy enough to want to stick around.

And Polly Toynbee can kiss my ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment