Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Walkie Wednesday

I love Autumn! Even though it’s still 100+ degrees here(stupid Southern California heat wave!), you can still tell that Fall is on it’s way. The days are getting shorter, kids are back in school and the shops are hawking Halloween wares.

30 years ago this time of year would have been heralded with a walk to the bus stop with my mom and an inexpert covering of my textbooks in old grocery bags. 20 years ago I would have improved my textbook covering, ditched Mom and walked to school myself – high hair mini skirt firmly in place as I walked through fallen leaves in new wing-tips.

I spent the Autumns of the mid-late 90s walking around campuses with half my weight in books strapped to my back, save for 1997 – when I spent a drunken Fall in Brussels. Yeah, cobble stones and warm Belgian waffles make for a fine Fall.

The noughties were spent in the much more Fall-friendly climes of London and Vancouver. London was all about bundling up in a pea-coat and sitting in a warm pub; Vancouver was all fire-colored leaves and hot coffee. Well, everywhere is hot coffee for me, but it’s different in Fall.

I was still sort of able to go on walks when we moved to London – long, aimless walks past parks and Victorian homes. My favorite Fall memory of London was starting graduate school, wandering through Bloomsbury in the brisk Fall air. By the time we got to Vancouver my walks were shorter, but no less reverential to the weather gods who could produce a cool, clear day with a gentle breeze to blow orange leaves from the trees.

Now that The Boy is more aware of his surroundings I’m wondering how he’ll respond to Fall. Will he love pumpkin-flavored things as much as me? Will he appreciate jumping into piles of fallen leaves? Will he resent being forced to wear the Yoda costume I got for him for Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment